Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Spring Garden

Spring has burst into the Ozarks on highwinds, thunderstorms and tornadoes. Although each storm downs trees, smashes houses, floods roadways and often kills people, when it clears everything feels cleansed and new growth appears sparkling in sunlight.



Our garden is thriving. We’ve lived here almost 20 years and each year the garden gets more beautiful. The perennial herbs and flowers come up first. Poppies and peonies are already blooming and the motherwort, astragalas, goldenseal, feverfew, echinacea, rue, elderberry, mint, lemon balm, st. john’s wort and comfrey are growing strong. The garlic planted last fall is tall and healthy and kale made it through the winter giving us fresh greens.

One of the reasons everything grows so well here is all the donkey manure I’ve spread on the beds over the years. In April Denslow organized our humongous manure pile, separating the old good stuff from the fresh donkey shit. Now most of the beds are rich with manure and mulched with straw ready for planting.

I love being in the garden, it is my special sacred place. For years I sat in meditation almost every morning but I gave that up and get out to the garden by dawn. My time weeding, planting, and tending the garden is my meditation. I feel like I am participating in the changes our beautiful planet is undergoing, tending her as she enters into what Paula Gunn Allen called “a great initiation."

In her essay The Woman I Love is a Planet; The Planet I Love Is A Tree, Allen says, “Our planet, my beloved, is in crisis; this, of course we all know. We, many of us, think that her crisis is caused by men, or White people, or capitalism, or industrialism, or loss of spiritual vision, or social turmoil, or war, or psychic disease. For the most part, we do not recognize that the reason for her state is that she is entering upon a great initiation—she is becoming someone else. Our planet, my darling, is gone coyote, heyoka, and it is our great honor to attend her passage rites."
http://www.nativewiki.org/Paula_Gunn_Allen

No comments: